Colfe's School is one of the oldest in London. Originally established by John Glyn in 1574, the school was re-founded in 1652 by the Reverend Abraham Colfe, vicar of Lewisham. Colfe was a friend of William Manby, then Clerk to the Leathersellers' Company, and through this connection the Company became Trustee of Colfe's substantial charitable foundation.
A well-loved local landmark, Colfe's School stood on Lewisham Hill until 1944 when it was heavily bombed. The pupils were evacuated to schools in Tunbridge Wells and Somerset and spent many years in temporary accommodation before Colfe's School re-opened in 1964 in new buildings in Lee, south-east London. Originally a grammar school for boys, Colfe's became independent in 1977, and has been co-educational since 1999.
Extended in recent years to include a nursery, pre-preparatory and preparatory schools, Colfe's School now has over 1000 pupils on the roll, aged between 3 and 18.
As trustees of Abraham Colfe's will, the Leathersellers' Company has been associated with the running of Colfe's School for some 350 years. As well as providing school governors, the Master, Wardens and Court make a formal visitation to the School each year, attending lessons and inspecting the premises to ensure the School's high standards are maintained. In addition, the Company offers substantial financial support in the form of scholarships and bursaries, one-off grants and funding for capital building projects.
To access the Colfe's School website please click here.